Thursday, December 29, 2011

С Новым годом

It seems to me that sooner or later every regular blog includes a post about the blog. For this blog, that sooner or later is today.

In September 2009 I decided to post a blog about the death of Ted Kennedy. And then I wrote another, and then I started trolling around here and there for photographs. Then I discovered, much to my surprise, that I had forgotten how much I truly enjoy writing, and by that I mean putting words to a thought or emotion or impulse with zero regard for the audience. That’s the exact opposite of my job, which requires me to write focused exclusively on the audience, with the goal of inspiring the purchase what’s being sold by whomever is paying me to write what they want written. In other words, it’s not writing at all – it’s typing. Writing this blog is another matter entirely. I write for the satisfaction of it, I write to express opinions without having to be polite about it, I write for a certain measure of therapy. It’s a self-centered enterprise, with very little thought given to who might be reading.

But a few months ago I happened across a tool I had no idea existed: In the back room of the blogging program there’s an accessory that spews forth very specific numbers and charts and bar graphs based on who drops in and when and from where. Even though I do not write with a specific audience in mind, I’d be lying if I said that I don’t find the statistics very interesting.

By a huge margin – and by that I mean several thousand – the most clicked upon or opened or read blog post is one I do not even recall writing. It’s about a city in Ohio whose basketball team had just lost a very, very celebrated player, a loss that had much of the sports world worked into a frenzy such that I thought the name of the basketball player had eclipsed the name of the city. After looking at the numbers I went back and read the post, which is one of my rambling odes to the glory of industrial cityscapes and the tragedy, I think, of elevating professional athletes to hero status. What’s truly strange is that the post doesn’t even mention the player by name, so how it caught on is a mystery to me. And it will remain so since I refuse to activate the comments function.

Another mystery pertains to the second most clicked upon or opened or read post. This mystery, for me, is more intriguing. The second most popular post in the history was about a very, very famous Russian author and a big, big book he wrote back in the 1850s. I posted it last fall, when my sisters and I were in the midst of reading that very long and very detailed book. A few months ago I discovered that not only had that post racked up some very impressive numbers but that it also altered the readership of this blog.

To this day, most of those who visit this blog do so on computers – or mobile phones perhaps – that are located in Russia. That baffles me, of course, but I do have three scenarios.

The first is that they’re Internet hackers. According to what I’ve heard and read, it’s something of a golden age of hacking over there in Russia and in countries that were once part of the big union. So perhaps every time their computers pick up a specific word – the author’s name, for example, especially when it’s in the headline – thousands of people either have a look themselves or use computers that are instructed to do so on their behalf. Of course, it’s odd that they’d continue reading, or monitoring. Anyhow, that’s my least favorite scenario.

The second is a bit more to my liking: The Russians remain deeply committed to and deeply in love with the author. Maybe people have their computers set to search for his name as a key word. Maybe people are conducting research for dissertations and on the lookout for something – anything – that testifies to the author’s power to transcend time itself. Or perhaps someone had a few hours to spare and was clicking around here and there on a cold and lonely afternoon on the eve of a Russian winter, when she (I do think of this person as she for some reason) came across a topic with which she was on intimate terms. And perhaps she forwarded it, and, to borrow the phrase of the author, so on and so forth.

Here’s my third scenario. The name of the author in the subject line prompted the blog to be picked up by various individuals and groups who are learning English. A simple forwarded e-mail that said, Look, here’s something about Tolstoy morphed into regular readership as a means of experiencing a regular dose of the language they’re learning in a more conversational rendition. That’s pure fantasy, of course, and it’s therefore not only my favorite of the three scenarios but the one I’m sticking with.